Cleaning can be a major time commitment, especially if you have a large home, but the Shark Steam Mop has been a great addition to our cleaning arsenal. With its innovative steam-cleaning technology, it has drastically decreased our time spent cleaning. This has given us more time to live intentionally.
The Shark Steam Mop is a powerful and efficient cleaning tool that uses steam to sanitize and clean floors. It comes with both a square head that allows you to reach all the tight corners and crevices. Its washable microfiber mop pads make it easy to clean up any messes. It also has a convenient swivel steering, allowing you to maneuver it easily and quickly.
We love our Shark steam mop but there different models available on the market. The Bissell Steam Mops are also excellent options when it comes to steam mops, and we’ll include a brief review of these two at the end of this post.
Benefits of Steam Mops
A steam mop is an excellent addition to any cleaning closet as it offers a great combination of cleaning power, time-saving features, and sanitization. Steam mops are a better choice than traditional mopping methods. They are more efficient, more hygienic, and are better for the environment.
Steam mops use less water than traditional mopping methods, which means less water and chemicals are used. The floors also dry faster, reducing the risk of slips and falls.
A time diary study tracked the amount of time spent on housework week over week of housewives in 1965 vs 2009. In 1965 they were logging 34.5 hours per week. That’s down to 20-25 (depending on working status) in 2009.
It’s not that there isn’t enough time for cleaning, people are just cleaning more intentionally and spending time on more important things. New, more efficient cleaning products and gadgets, of course, have helped in that regard as well.
The Steam mop is no exception, It allows you to eliminate some of the most time consuming parts of mopping. You don’t have to wring it out, or rewet the pad, you just fill the tank and go. It also does a better job, not carrying around bacteria and spreading it on the floor, instead sanitizing it.
Review of the Shark Steam Mop
- Sanitation – Steam mops are a great way to sanitize your home without the use of harsh chemicals. The Shark Steam Mop uses steam to kill 99.9% of germs and bacteria, making it a great choice for those looking for an effective and safe cleaning solution. This leaves the surface clean and sanitized.
- Convenience – The Shark Steam mop is ready to go in 30 seconds. Just fill the tank with water and you’re ready to clean. It isn’t a huge unit which is a huge plus but it’s not self standing so storage can be a little tricky at times. The reusable cleaning pads are a life saver. Ours came with 2 so we would use one while the other was being washed. It makes a huge difference to have it available when you need it.
- Versatility – The shark mop is safe for us on any hard surface floors. It works great on tile, cleaning the grout lines thoroughly. It is also safe for wood and vinyl flooring. You can run it all over your floors and get them clean as a whistle without worrying about harming them. The nature of the cleaning pad also makes it great as a duster for an initial pass on the floors. Plus the steam helps to clean up a variety of messes that are harder to get with a traditional mop or vacuum. This user tested it on honey with a great degree of success. Some of these tougher jobs may require a bit of a scrub and will shorten the life of your cleaning pad.
- Energy Efficiency – The Shark Steam Mop is extremely energy and water efficient. It uses significantly less water and energy than traditional mopping methods. This makes it an excellent choice for those looking to save money on their cleaning supplies. Additionally, because the steam is hot enough to kill germs on contact, there is no need for harsh chemicals. These chemicals take significant energy to make so eliminating them helps to conserve water and energy. It also reduces the amount of harmful chemicals in the environment. The Shark Steam Mop is an excellent choice for those looking to clean their home in an eco-friendly way.
Most of the shark steam mop’s cons revolve around the water tank. None are so big that they really impact overall usage – at least in our case. We’ll go through them all so you can make an informed decision.
- Water Tank – The orientation of the water tank opening makes it a little challenging to fill. There isn’t a fill line so it’s hard to know when it is full. Emptying the tank is another animal. The tank isn’t removable so you have to kind of hold it horizontally over the sink to empty it. Be careful of your kitchen cupboards! The water tank is also quite small. You’ll need to refill it about once per room. The upside of it being so small though is that the unit isn’t as heavy. The last water related complaint is that the manufacturer recommends distilled water. We have always used tap water but recognize this likely shortens the life of the machine. Just something to keep in mind.
- No folding/self standing makes for more difficult storage – Our only other complaint is the storage. It’s not terribly big but like most household appliances it’s a little awkward. It doesn’t have a self standing feature, which is great for using both sides of the cleaning pad, but makes storage a challenge. It has to go against a wall or just be strewn along the floor if that’s more your speed.
- Product Note: If your steam pader is plugged in, steam should appear in the edges of the mob after about 30 secs. If your not seeing steam, unplug it before adding water and make sure the ater level is maximum. Once you have checked the water level, make sure the blue light is on. Pump the handle few times in downward motion
We do love our shark steam mop but there are some other options out there if you’re looking for a steam mop.
Alternative: Bissell Steam Mop Review
The Bissell Steam Mop is another great option for those looking for a lightweight mop that is easy to maneuver.
They have several options most of which have a removable tank. The one we thought was particularly interesting is the Bissell PowerFresh Slim 3-in-1 Scrubbing and Sanitizing Steam Mop. We’ve made the move to these kinds of vacuums and they are so slick for both storage and getting into tight places.
- Extra steaming attachments The Bissell Steam mop PowerFresh Slim comes with extra attachments that can be used in handheld mode.
- The Grout Tool – Get your grout looking like new
- The Flat Scraper Tool – Clean Cook tops, griddles and microwaves easy
- The Bristle Scrub Brush – Clean Grills and Oven racks with ease
- The Angle Tool – Reach smaller places
- The Flat Surface Tool – Great for flat areas above floors
- Extra Brush Tool
- Clothing Steamer Tool – This can even be used to steam your clothes
- Washable cleaning pad – Like the shark model, Bissell makes a machine washable steaming pad. This is an easy way that these save you money. Unlike a mop or swiffer pads you can just chuck these cleaning pads in the wash and they are good as new!
- Modular ‘stick’ design – The Dyson V8 popularized the handheld stick vacuum look. Both functional and convenient for storage, it’s a great option. The Bissell PowerFresh Slim comes with that same look and functionality. There is a long tube for floor cleaning but the attachments attach at the handle for different projects. It’s just like Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana, you get the best of both worlds.
- Heavy/Not self-standing – One complaint with the stick style cleaning appliances is that they are heavy. The center of gravity is up towards your hand so it can be quite an arm workout. Fill up that handheld part with water, like you do for a steam mop, and it only gets heavier.
- Hard to know if it’s steaming – Customers complained they couldn’t hear if it was steaming or not. We haven’t had the opportunity to test this out but something to be aware of.
- Have to hold down the button the whole time – One of the great features about the shark is that you just turn it on and it does its thing. The Bissell requires you to push a button to activate steaming. It’s great if you are using the handheld attachments. For cleaning the ground where you want a nonstop stream of steam it can get a little tiring for your fingers.
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save homeless pets..Power source type: Corded
- Powerful handheld steam cleaner and steam mop in one
- Clean and sanitize sealed hard floors without the use of harsh chemicals; eliminate 99. 9 percent of germs and bacteria with the natural power of steam
- Superior clean above floors with the extension tube and extra-long 25 ft power cord to reach those difficult areas in your home
- On board storage kit allows you to carry tools while you steam clean – grout tool, angle tool, flat scrapper tool, bristle scrub brush
When comparing the Shark steam mop to the Bissell steam mop, it is clear that both steam mops have several advantages. It ultimately depends on what you want. We have a closet in our front room that has an excellent spot for our Shark Steam Mop. If storage is a problem it may be worth looking at Bissell for some alternatives.
Both Bissell and Shark steam mops come with a warranty. The warranty does vary from model to model so that is something to consider when you are making a purchase as well.
One thing is for sure though, a steam mop is a fantastic addition to any cleaning arsenal. It offers an efficient and effective way to clean hard floors without the hassle of traditional mops and buckets. Our Shark Steam Mop has drastically reduced the amount of time we spend cleaning. This extra times allows us more time to live intentionally.
Not only does a steam mop provide a deep clean with its steam technology, but it also sanitizes the surface with no harsh chemicals. The mop head can also be removed and washed in the washing machine for easy maintenance. A steam mop is a no brainer addition to your home to save you time and money.