It’s that time of year when people are thinking about booking a holiday, and starting to plan ahead for their next trip. As stated on Police.uk homes with no security measures in place are five times more likely to be burgled than those with simple security measures. Therefore if you spend alot of time on days out or travelling, or if you are simply planning your next holiday, it is important to think about home security. There are many ways to leave your home more secure when unattended. Here are some top tips for home security to leave you feeling reassured while away from home…
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked, including gates.
- Leave keys and valuables out of sight.
- Be part of a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme or informally agree with neighbours to look out for each others’ properties.
- Have a visible security system in place, such as this Panasonic outdoor camera.
- Arrange for curtains to be drawn at night then opened in the morning.
- Make sure you have good outdoor lighting. Outdoor solar lights are relatively cheap and eco friendly.
- Put indoor lights on a timer or use an app to control them.
- Arrange for Royal Mail to hold your post using their keepsafe service. (Or ask a trusted friend/ neighbour to keep it safe for you).
- Have a neighbour park their vehicle in your driveway.
- Avoid using pet sitting companies that advertise their services on their vehicle – this also alerts potential thieves that you are away!
- Avoid talking about specific details of your travel plans publicly or posting about it on social media.
- Remember all of the simple security measures and night security tips above also apply here too.
Happy travels everyone! Do you have any top tips to share?
This is a sponsored post. It also contains an affiliate link.