So we are now 1/4 of the way through the #100daysofhomeed challenge! I thought this might be a good time to do a brief round-up of some of the activities we have done since the challenge started. No doubt there is a tonne of stuff I have forgotten but here are a few of the things we have been doing…
- Punctuation and grammar – Squiggle was reading the side of a cereal packet whilst having a snack. She asked about the use of apostrophies, which she has now been using correctly since. It also led onto further discussions about punctuation and grammar, and covered alot of ground! I love how such amazing valuable learning opportunities can arise naturally from even the simplest of everyday tasks.
- Writing – Squiggle wrote some tips on green living/ protecting the environment.
- Scrabble – We played this for the first time recently, great for spelling!
- Squiggle has written lots of letters to her friends and characters, and wrote cards for Valentines Day.
- She also frequently writes shopping lists etc…
- Squiggle regularly writes her own stories.
Science Experiments/ STEM
- Squiggle has been doing some of our Dyson STEM challenge cards, including ‘invisible writing’ with lemon juice and using coke to make coppers shiny.
- We have also experimented with growing crystals.
- Squiggle figured out how to make herself a basic microphone using household objects using her knowledge and understanding of sound, vibrations, amplification etc…
- Squiggle has been learning more about different countries and continents.
- Squiggle has been creating some digital art on my phone using PicsArt app.
- She has written alot of emails to myself and her dad.
- She has typed lists etc…
- We use the internet together for research.
- Squiggle had fun with the Children’s Art Galleries creative box and also the Chalkola marker pens we were sent, amongst lots of other art and craft.
- She regularly does drawings, such as characters etc…
- We talked about different styles of art while creating digital art using PicsArt.
- Squiggle has played lots of sports in the garden and we have also been to the athletics track too.
- Squiggle has been to her regular music class.
- She has been putting on performances at home, including singing with her new mic!
Days out etc…
- We have been to Southend-On-Sea for a day at the seaside
- We have been to Whipsnade zoo twice recently.
- Nature Walks – We have enjoyed countryside walks observing the earliest signs of Spring.
- We have been to parks and playgrounds.
- Garden Centres – We loved seeing the wildlife and the wood carving sculptures outside this garden centre.
- Squiggle has earned money by doing tasks. She has a Go Henry account and has been using that to learn about having an account/ dealing with money.
- We have also discussed the basics of running a business. She then practised some elements of this by ‘hiring’ me to do things (such as drawing her a picture for example) which I then invoiced her for, and she paid me – and vice versa.
- We talked about other aspects of running a business too, such as making ethical and eco-friendly choices, and we even discussed giving back to the community / helping others by giving x % profit to charity.
There are loads more things I’m sure but that’s all I can think of right now!